見ぬが花。

There is a Japanese saying that reads 見ぬが花 (みぬがはな). Minu ga hana. Not seeing is a flower. It means something along the lines of reality being unable to compete with imagination.

These last few weeks I've lived and breathed Write Hope. I was so nervous when the first auction went up, and I saw it grow beyond our imaginations. We've raised a couple of thousand dollars already and we are fast on our way to raise more. As I said in the wrap-up post, there's a lot of fun to be had with the bidding, but at the same time I'm sure no one forgets who we're doing it for.


At this halfway point, I can't help but feel a little reflective. Watching this grow from the wings has taught me a lot. About hope. About how imagination can beat reality and how sometimes reality rises up to meet the challenge. About humility. About life. And invariably, about writing.

Some things - like raising a book - take a village, but when we come together as a community we can move mountains. This community is amazing, with extra glitter, in doing so and I'm honored to be part of that. Speaking for myself, organizing isn't the hard part, it's only the logical thing to do. But almost all of you have replied immediately wanting to help out, and you are all so generous with time, donations, bids, promotion. Reading all the mails coming in is a rollercoaster of emotions, as I keep bouncing between grinning like mad and tears in my eyes.

One day, when I'm no longer in the dreaded query trenches, but further down the road to my dream goal, I hope to be able to pay that feeling forward from the other side. Although it would be even better if it was never necessary again, but it's a comfort to know there'll always be hope.

Not seeing is a flower. As a writer, most of the time I agree. This week, however, I think our bubble of reality turned out to be a garden.

Here's to next week being even more magnificent!

<3

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment